Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    in a few weeks teams will start officaly practiceing and we can really sink our teath into the season


    My list of Pondering

    1) How will the CMD shake out.......Lebanon should go into the season as the favorite but will the New coach at Va High get the bearcats turned around and become the major force in SWVA football and which direction will GC go with there coaching change?...................(My personal thoughts are that Va High will end up shacking up the CMD and winning the district title with Lebanon on there heels and GC finishing up a distant 3rd (I think Colbro has been a better coach than many in GC want to admit and loseing him will hurt)

    2) Will Burton rebuild or reload?............Burton has one of the best (if not the best) Atholeat in SWVA in Miles however it does not look like he will be sourounded by the talent that Burton has enjoyed over the last 7 or 8 years...........(IMHO Burton will cut through most of there opponets like a hot knife through butter but will not win the district or Region)

    3) Will Clintwood rebuild or reload?...............While they do not have anyone the calaber of Miles to put the team on his shoulders and carry it they DO seem to be in a better position to plug holes and keep rolling...............(IMHO Clintwood this year is alot like Burton last season in that even after the heavy losses of key 3 year starters off last years team they have the depth and tools to be better than many think)

    4) Will this be Phils last year as PVs head man?.................Sure he can probably keep coaching as long as he wants to BUT PV should be the **** of the Walk in the LPD next season and that could play into his dission makeing.............(I think that barring Injurys PV should win the LPD and if that happens Robbins will ride off into the sunset)

    5) How big of a game with Honaker vs Haysi be in week 10...............Given that I can't even remember the last time a BDD team NOT nicknames the Tigers won that district and that with Honaker being Div2 and Haysi (most likley) being Div1 the winner will shape the whole reagional playoff picture..................(I think Haysi with its beefed up schedule will be the better team this season and IMHO if they end up Div1 (which I am 99% sure will happen) they should be the preseason Favorits)

    6) Will the CD be relavent this season?....................Sure a team will win the district and will get a Div1 playoff spot (except Coeburn) but is there the potental for any of these teams to get out of the 1st round of the Playoffs?......................(I am not sure..... TW was NOT a team that should have been in the post season last year and I am sure that clouds my vision a bit)

  2. #2
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    Burton will be OK on the "O" side of the ball and may even suprise you with a running back or 2. Our biggest thing will be QB and filling defensive holes. I think we will have to out score a lot more people this year rather than holding people to 7 points.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    You may be right but I would be VERY suprised if they are able to replace Coleman and not miss a beat.......Loseing Talley IMHO is not huge in that while he was a heck of a 3rd option running the ball he was NOT a threat to pass the ball and I think Norton will need that extra demention this season.

    Honistly I thought Norton would still be OK on D (maybe not as domanate as in years past but still more than solid)

  4. #4
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    [QUOTE=Counts;1780918]You may be right but I would be VERY suprised if they are able to replace Coleman and not miss a beat [QUOTE]

    there is no way that we lose Coleman and not miss a beat but I think that we have another back or 2 in the stable that will allow Miles to be the main guy while the D has to respect what the other guy can do.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member BORNRED's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 10th, 2005
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    if clintwood is putting Austin under center then they are in for a long year,I saw him about a month ago whats his weight up to now bout 240ish? Who do you think will win the region counts? Surely not clintwood with their 140lb runningback. Who will Burton have on the Oline this year?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    Burtons O-line should be all returning starters i think. our 3 experienced linemen were all out injured by something like game 3 last year.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member LBU's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2006
    Posts
    356
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    Quote Originally Posted by BORNRED View Post
    if clintwood is putting Austin under center then they are in for a long year,I saw him about a month ago whats his weight up to now bout 240ish? Who do you think will win the region counts? Surely not clintwood with their 140lb runningback. Who will Burton have on the Oline this year?
    I really don't think he's at 240. If he were, how would that translate into a long season for the Greenwave? I've saw him within the past month also and he's not some big butterball that can barely move around.

    From what I've heard from a couple of people Meade may want to stay at WR. This may be the best for the team if he does. I'm not knocking him as a QB either.

    Also, Clintwood will have a freshman RB that I think will contribute nicely this year.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER] "Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things." JVP[/CENTER]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    Quote Originally Posted by BORNRED View Post
    Who do you think will win the region counts? Surely not clintwood with their 140lb runningback. Who will Burton have on the Oline this year?
    I think that Haysi should be the pre-season Pick in Div 1

    As far as the 140 lb RB it worked out OK with Kenney Dottson a few years ago LOL Plus I would put Powers in the 160 range (not that is much better LOL)

    However like I said I do not think he can carry the ball 20+ times a game eaither.

    As far as QB goes I have no clue what the plan is I do THINK Dottson will be needed at Middle backer this season and that is not a position you generaly want your QB in

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Wildcat_Formation's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 7th, 2009
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    I think Va High is a year or two away from ruling the CMD.

    CMD
    Lebanon
    Gate City
    VIrginia
    Battle
    Lee

  10. #10
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat_Formation View Post
    I think Va High is a year or two away from ruling the CMD.

    CMD
    Lebanon
    Gate City
    VIrginia
    Battle
    Lee
    Lee last?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •